Site Updates October 19, 2019
I've been taking advantage of all the "violin dad" time I have every week when Z is in symphony practice by doing some practice of my own. I started bringing in my guitar, and using one of the empty practice rooms to play some hits from the 80's and 90's. After my fingertips cry for mercy, I gingerly tap out code on my laptop, and I've spent the last few weeks improving my site. I added a tagging system to the blog, as well as pagination to the blog index, then implemented a workaround for Gatsby's broken focus management when navigating.
That last one is a bit unfortunate. Although Gatsby advertises its accessibility heavily specifically boasts accessible routing and page change announcement with the Reach Router, that feature has been broken since I began playing with Gatsby last Spring (2019), and I'm not sure it ever worked in Gatsby 2.x.
Anyway, the Gatsby issue spawned a lengthy blog post, and the fix is being prioritized in Gatsby's roadmap. Insted of waiting for it, I put in a shim that will focus the H1 of each page when it loads. I think that this replicates the SPA experience for screen readers, and is better than sticking with the "old pattern" of focusing the top of the page as if we loaded a whole new page (and forcing the user to "skip to main content" and wade through the unchanged content to find what's new).