I'm Ken Cox and I'm a web developer living in Newark, Delaware, USA. My days are spent working as a Senior Front-End Web Developer for Barclays. Previously, I was doing something similar at Capital One, which is what became of the late great ING DIRECT, which is where I entered the enterprise world after a decade of agency work. In my spare time, and with the help of my lovely bride and her amazing Photoshop skills, I make a small group of long-term freelance clients deliriously happy as < kencox design >.
Long long ago...
I remember being a senior in college and having no idea what I was going to do the following year. I'd loved art since elementary school, and the visual arts seemed to be the right career for me... but then why was I always sneaking over to the computer buildings to take programming courses? After graduation, started my career doing design and page layout using Quark Express 3.0 and Photoshop 2.5 on a Mac IIci with an 80MB hard drive, but despite how much fun that was, something was still missing. It wasn't until the World Wide Web burst onto the scene that everything finally came together. I wrote my first web page after reading a how-to article on HTML in Byte Magazine in 1995, launched my own personal site in 1996, and started building things on the web professionally by 1997.
Since then, my titles at a number of companies and ad agencies have included various arrangements of the words 'designer', 'developer', 'UX', and 'web'. I've completed online and interactive projects of all sizes for a variety of industries, including financial, pharma, healthcare and retail.
- Web accessibility - making web sites work for everyone
- Agile Software Development
- VS Code which replaced Sublime Text which replaced Textmate which replaced BBEdit as my favorite code editor.
- Apple computers: I used Macs for web development way before it became fashionable, and have owned more of them than I can count
- Minecraft: My girls and I build amazing things in this virtual world of blocks, plus we get to kill zombies.
When I'm not in front of a computer, I'm probably...
- Furiously pedaling my trusty Niner Jet 9 or my Niner RLT gravel bike.
- Playing music with my daughters on any number of instruments
- Watching a good sci-fi movie like Blade Runner 2049 (I saw the original in the theater as a kid)
- Camping at Smuggler's Notch State Park in Vermont
- Back country, Telemark and Downhill skiing - sometimes in Delaware!
- Climbing at Delaware Rock Gym
- Trying to paint a respectable watercolor